Sunday, June 14, 2009

St. Anthony of Padua

Yesterday, June 13th, was the Feast Day of St. Anthony of Padua (1191-1231), one of the Catholic Church's most popular saints around the world.

Anthony was born in Lisbon, Portugal, became an Augustinian priest, but later joined the Order of Francis of Assisi, the Friars Minor. With the permission of Francis himself, he taught his brother friars theology and was known as having a great knowledge of the sacred scriptures. It became evident that Anthony was a great teacher and a great preacher and he touched and healed the hearts and souls, minds and bodies of many in his lifetime, becoming known as a wonder-worker and a truly holy man of God. Anthony served others in a great public ministry, but he was also a contemplative, who often went into seclusion for deep prayer and communion with God.

Here is one of my favorite quotes of this great saint:

Actions speak louder than words; let your words teach and your actions speak. We are full of words but empty of actions, and therefore are cursed by the Lord, since he himself cursed the fig tree when he found no fruit but only leaves. It is useless for a man to flaunt his knowledge of the law if he undermines its teaching by his actions.

Saint Anthony's Blessing

Behold, the Cross of the Lord!
Begone, all evil powers!
The Lion of the tribe of Judah,
The Root of David, has conquered!
Alleluia, Alleluia!

A Prayer to Saint Anthony for Assistance in Finding a Lost Article

Saint Anthony,
perfect imitator of Jesus,
who received from God the special power of restoring lost things,
grant that I may find (mention your petition), which has been lost.
At least restore to me peace and tranquility of mind,
the loss of which has afflicted me even more than my material loss.
To this favor I ask another of you:
that I may always remain in possession of the true good that is God.
Let me rather lose all things than lose God, my supreme good.
Let me never suffer the loss of my greatest treasure,
eternal life with God.
Amen.

The More Popular Prayer/Rhyme for Anthony's Assistance:

Tony, Tony,
come around,
something's lost
and must be found.

Over the years, I have called upon St. Anthony for his help and interecession in finding a good number of things and he has never failed me yet -- and some of the items were found in the most unusual of places and circumstances. While it is sometimes joked about or made a little fun of, as if it were a superstition, I can tell you from my own experience that St. Anthony can truly come to our assistance and I am very grateful.

Anthony is well-represented in art over the centuries and he is celebrated by Catholic Christians the world over. There is a special and efficatious Chaplet of St. Anthony that is prayed most often in the form of a novena and his sermons have just recently been published by the Messenger of St. Anthony. For a more detailed life of St. Anthony of Padua and information on his sermons, go to: http://www.saintanthonyofpadua.net/portale/santantonio/sa.asp.

Over the years of reading a great deal of Franciscan spirituality, spiritual practices, history, and lore, I am not very well read about St. Anthony, but I do still consider him a friend and I value his friendship. I hope you get to know him a little better, too.

Pax et bonum!