Sunday, September 27, 2009

Clare's Fourth Letter to Bl. Agnes of Prague

St. Clare of Assisi is truly one of my favorite saints. I love Clare dearly and turn to her more frequently than any other saint in heaven. Her example of faithfulness, love, surety and strength in of her vocation, and motherly tenderness towards her sisters, her spiritual daughters, those who lived with her at the time and those who were to come for centuries after her death in 1253, inspires me like no one else.

It was she who actually led me to Francis and the Franciscan way of life -- ususally it's the other way around, people are most often drawn by St. Francis and then meet Clare through his stories. I don't recall exactly how I came to know and became so captivated and..aptured by St. Clare -- perhaps it was through a magazine or newspaper article way-back-when, but whatever it was, I am grateful. Meeting Clare, learning more and more about her, then Francis and all of the Franciscan Family has had a tremendous, profound, and very deep impact on my life and my faith.

August 11th marks the Feast Day of St. Clare in the Catholic Church. More often than not, I spend the evening of the 10th in prayer and remembrance of Clare's passing from this life with the Poor Clare Sisters in Bloomington, MN. This Franciscan tradition, the Trasitus of St. Clare, is beautiful, solemn, and sweet. The following day is a joyful celebration of this beloved spiritual mother of countless women in Poor Clare Monasteries throughout the world and all the Franciscan Family of women and men in the three orders founded by St. Francis: the First Order, the order of men who embrace the Franciscan way of life as priests and brothers; the Second Order, the order of women who live a monastic life in the way of St. Clare; and the Third Order, the broadest order that includes men and women, lay and vowed religious. More will be written about these various religious orders, but for today, I want to share from the Fourth Letter of Saint Clare to Blessed Agnes of Prague for your prayer and reflection.

"Happy indeed is she who is given the grace of sharing this holy way of life, of clinging to it with every fiber of her being. The whole court of heaven never ceases to admire the beauty of this way. Love for it is exhilarating, to behold it renews our strength; its loveliness fills or soul; to reflect upon it brings new insights; its fragrant odor will bring life to the dead; all citizens of the heavenly Jerusalem will rejoice over it, for it is the spledor of eternal glory, the refulgence of eternal light, a mirror without blemish.

Look in this mirror every day, O queen and bride of Jesus Christ. Keep gazing at your image reflected in it so that you may be clothed and adorned with the flowers of all virtues as becomes the daughter and chaste bride of the Most High.

In this mirror by the grace of God you will be able to observe blessed poverty, holy humility and love beyond the power of words to describe. As you gaze into it you behold the poverty of him who was laid in the manger and wrapped in swaddling clothes. What wondrous humility! The king of angels, the Lord of heaven and earth, is laid in a manger. Continuing your gaze you note the countless toils and sufferings he endured to redeem the human race; you discern also the ineffable love which made him willing to die a most shameful death on the cross.

When this mirror is hung on the wood of the cross it admonishes all passers-by in these words: All you who pass by, look and see whether there is any suffering like my suffering (Lamentations 1:12). As he thus calls out to us in his sufferings let us reply in unison: "I recall it, Lord, over and over again, and it leaves my soul downcast within me." In this way, queen of the king of heaven, you will glow with ever greater love.

Moveover, as you meditate on the indescribable delights and riches and enduring honors Jesus offers you, and as you sigh and long with all your heart, cry out to him with love: Draw me; we will follow you eagerly (Song of Songs 1:4), heavenly bridegroom. I will run and not grow weary (Isaiah 40:31) till you bring me into the banquet hall, until your left hand is under my head and your right embraces me and you kiss me in loving welcome. As you meditate in this way remember me, your poor mother, and know that I have inscribed your happy memory deeply on the tablets of my heart considering you dearer than all."